Brandveiligheid in huis

Home fire safety - What do you have to check?

Monday 21 November 2022

Prevent all the misery of fire in your home with these fire safety tips. Every year, firefighters have to help thousands of households in distress. A fire can start in a matter of moments. The fire can spread at lightning speed and the consequences can be very serious. Usually, a fire starts because of a small accident in the home. Think of knocked-over candles, a malfunctioning wood stove or someone lighting a cigarette while the gas is on. Fortunately, fire can be well prevented. So read the most important fire safety tips for your home.

1. Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors

A fire alarm or smoke detector is compulsory nowadays. In fact, you cannot do without one. A smoke detector detects smoke within seconds. An incipient fire is then detected in time. Because the smoke detector beeps loudly, everyone knows there might be a fire. You can then evacuate in time and call the fire brigade. Sometimes cigarette smoke, steam or incense set off a smoke detector. This is because some models are quite sensitive. You can also opt for a fire alarm with a message to the control room. The fire brigade will be called, without you having to call 112 yourself. A carbon monoxide detector goes off if carbon monoxide is detected. This is an odourless and highly toxic gas. Poisoning can be fatal. Symptoms include headache, nausea, dizziness and feeling weak. Many people do not directly link the symptoms to carbon monoxide. A carbon monoxide detector can detect this poisonous gas in time, saving lives.

2. Keep the entrance clear

Make sure you can always open the door. Even if you lock the front door, you should be able to open it immediately. Therefore, always keep the keys in the same place. Avoid barriers, such as objects blocking the entrance. The fire brigade should be able to enter the house easily. Make sure you have a fixed escape route. Know which door to use in case of fire. This way, everyone can get out safely.

3. Keep the meter cupboard free of barriers

You should always have access to the meter cupboard. In case of fire, it is vital to close the main gas valve. This is because gas and fire together cause an explosion. Always have an earth leakage switch installed in the meter cupboard. This way, you prevent fire from short-circuiting and electrocution. Also, do not store items such as paper, clothing and flammable products in the meter cupboard.

4. Keep kitchen appliances safe

Do you have a gas cooker? Then it is wise to always check that you have turned off the gas. Some people accidentally leave the gas open. A cigarette, candle or match can then cause big trouble. A gas cooker hose can also wear out. Therefore, you should regularly check the hose for small cracks. This is especially the case with out-of-the-way gas cookers.

When cooking, you should always stand by the fire. This also applies to an electric or ceramic hob. A pan can overheat and the food can burn. This way, you can get a flame in the pan. A flame in the pan is a common cause of a house fire. When there is a flame in the pan, you should immediately put the lid on the pan to extinguish the flame. This is because extinguishing with water can cause a big stinging flame.

5. Fire safety in the living room

Make sure your appliances are safe. Use only good-quality plug sockets. Multiple sockets on top of each other can cause short circuits and overloading. That is why you should use only one power strip. You can connect several appliances to one power strip. Always switch off plug sockets when you leave. Make sure that cords cannot be damaged. Never put the cables under anything. Also make sure you don't walk or stand on them. Do you have candles? Always blow them out when you are not present. Keep small children and pets away from candles. Always put candles on a stable surface. This way, they are less likely to fall over. Never place flammable products near candles. Do you smoke? Always put your cigarettes in an ashtray.

6. Have stoves and fireplaces checked

Check whether the pilot light of the geyser or central heating boiler is burning. An orange pilot light can be a sign of carbon monoxide. This toxic gas is released during poor combustion. A classic geyser, wood stove or fireplace can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. A poorly functioning central heating boiler is also unsafe. Have appliances checked regularly and check that the drains are clear. A clogged drain is also very dangerous. Smoke must be able to escape, otherwise carbon monoxide can be released.

7. Professionals for home fire safety

Via Zoofy, you can easily book a professional. A professional can check your central heating boiler, geyser, cooker, fireplace or wood-burning stove, for example. He can also install a fire alarm or sweep your chimney. Any specialist craftsman can make your home fireproof. Appliances that provide heat